Thursday, July 26, 2007

WHY ORGANIC? (part 6)

I have chosen the word, “organic” to describe a process that is not driven organizationally and operates through natural, God-given principles. Something that is natural, or organic may be compared to a living organism and should obey the laws of the creation mandate in Genesis chapter one to reproduce after its kind, when the soil and conditions are right.

Many, if not most 20th century methods of church planting could be described as organizational rather than organic: architectural rather than agricultural. Generally, successful church planting in the american church model, requires a large amount of start-up capital ($250,000 according to one source), full-time, trained staff (i.e. a church planter, a senior pastor and a secretary) and an advertising budget, not to mentioned a qualified worship director and children’s ministries director. It is no wonder that the average church finds reproducing itself in a daughter church a daunting task!

Obviously, if a church planter envisions starting a dynamic, growing mega church, there is a greater need for capital resources, both in finances and qualified people in the early stages of the start-up. Only large denominations, already existing mega churches or highly focused church networks are likely to be able to gather sufficient resources for this kind of church planting. Independent, entrepreneurial church planters and smaller, congregational type churches are unlikely to have sufficient resources for this kind of church planting.

What to do? We have already seen the desperate need for new churches, as well as the evidence that we need for a new kind of church. Some would argue that there is a clear scriptural mandate that every church should have the capacity to reproduce itself, if it is a truly living organism, part of the body of Christ. How can a typical American congregation with 95 people in attendance reproduce itself?

The answer proposed in this paper is might be called “organic church planting.” It is church planting in its most simple and basic form. It relies on using natural, creation principles for growth and multiplication, rather than an organizational paradigm. The goal of organic church planting is not to build an organizational structure nor is it to gather a large number of seekers in a worship service. The goal of organic church planting is to recognize and penetrate receptive social networks with the good news of Jesus’ rule and to produce highly committed followers of Jesus within these social networks, who will gather together in Jesus’ name to love and serve one another and to be light and a living witness to the rest of their social network.

In organic church planting, worship services, music styles, meeting facilities are all determined by the needs and cultural customs of the targeted social network. Organic church planting among some Gen-x and millennial generation groups of young people may require meeting informally in coffee houses, worshipping with spontaneous debates and discussions, with music that widely varies from one group to another. For example organic church planting among Muslims may require prayer five times a day with a heavy use of poetry and spirited conversations in coffee shops.

One Rhode Island church planter from a Baptist background1 found that the most effective way to plant churches in the highly secular and intensely ethnic culture of New England was to begin with evangelistic Bible studies in the homes of people who were influencers of social networks. Using the home of the person with social influence as a base of proclamation, the entire network was often brought into fellowship with Christ.

This same church planter ran into major difficulties when he tried to incorporate these newly evangelized social networks into the local church. They tended to resist bonding relationally to the local church social network and tried to preserve their own “natural” social network. Often these family or social sub-structures disintegrated or caused church splits in the local church. The long-term solution that he finally discovered was to establish a new “church” in the social network itself, often the same home where the Bible study originated, rather than try to bring the new believers into an already existing church family.

1 The Rhode Island Fellowship of Church Planters. http://www.fcpt.org/fcpt/

7 comments:

  1. as I an afterthought, I wanted to mention some of the books that have been formative for me in this idea of planting organic "kingdom" communities.

    first of all, the parables of Jesus are full of "organic" references: see Matt. 13:31.

    Roland Allen, a m_____ to Korea at the turn of the century noticed the vast difference in growth between Korean churches and Japonese. He wrote a classic, "Mis____ Methods, St. Paul´s Methods or Ours" (1912), and in 1927, "The spontaneous expansion of the church : and the causes which hinder it", London : The World dominion press, 1927.

    Another book that influenced me was written by a Catholic Priest, Vincent J. Donovan, who worked among AFrican ribes, "Christianity Rediscovered".

    Finally, the concept of an "organic" approach to starting, growing and multiplying churches was put forth in 1996 by a German writer, Christian A. Swarz in his book “Natural Church Development".

    I wrote this paper, based on those resources and my own church planting experience in 2003. Since then, Neil Cole wrote "Organic Church", and more recently, "The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church" by Alan Hirsch, attempts to utilize living systems theory, complexity and choas theories in analyzing the growth of Jesus movements.

    Another classic resource that I should mention was written 1932 by Watchman Nee, "The Normal Christian Church Life".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read the 6 chapters and the comments, Joseph. I appreciate what you are wrestling with. I have not commented up to now because I haven't known what to add to the conversation. Everytime I think I am beginning to have a "handle" on understanding the kingdom and the church, I lose it again. Thus I identify most comfortably with the questions.

    Sometimes I think I have a "vision" of the church; however, I think what I really have is a hunger for a reality I have only glimpsed -- maybe only to be fulfilled in heaven. In the meantime, I think concentrating on day-by-day faithfulness and obedience to the Spirit may be more important than having my vision altogether clear.

    Perhaps the clearest I have yet expressed what I seem to hunger after is in the 3rd part ("Living as the People of God") of my paper "The Church in Our Time" which I attached to an email several days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph,

    Mr. Scoggins mentioned Nee's writing on "The Church and The Work" in his email to the group. I have a PDF copy of Nee's writing and would be happy to share it with anyone interested. Just email me and I will forward it.

    Matt B. - Mobile, AL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, I can greatly indentify with your comments. I know a lot more about what does not work with the church, than what does. I also feel that every time I get a hold on it, it slips away. mystery. Keep reading, writing and conversing with me.

    Matt: I appreciate what you are doing. Sometime, I want to hear your story...the last time I actually saw you, I had no idea that you were interested in anything other than football. I want to have a beer and hear how you got from there to where you are now someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve and Joseph,
    I identify with the elusive vision of the Church. It's one of those concepts that I knew so much more about 30 years ago than I do now.

    One thing I know. I am glad that the Lord did not allow me to realize my previous iterations of the vision, because I would not like them now.

    I do believe that Jesus wants us to keep it simple... maintain the day-to-day faithfulness Steve mentioned, make disciples, and meet together in simple Kingdom communities of two, three or more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, for better or worse, God did allow me to "realize my previous iterations of the vision" at least to some extent (although I was not able to grow a mega-church in Miami despite my strenious efforts and the near sacrifice of my family).

    One of the strange things about being a church planter, is that 5 or 6 years later, you see all the mistakes you made on your children...and you get to start all over again.

    Most of what I write in my paper on organic cp is from my failures. I actually have an outline for a book called "101 ways NOT to plant a church" with personal illustrations for all 101 ways.

    I agree about simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should publish your 101 ways on this blog -- one or two a week.
    John

    ReplyDelete