Thursday, February 18, 2010

Crisis in the system?

This past week Senator Evan Bayh announced that he would retire from politics. Senator Bayh was disillusinoed by the current extreme cynnical polarization of the political process.

Disillusioned Bayh advocates electoral “shock” to broken system

Several years ago I read a book by German political philosopher Jürgen Habermas (Legitimation Crisis) in which he points out inherent contradictions in the modern Western capitalist system which he predicted would lead to cycles of ever increasing economic and political crises.

In the light of the Great Recession of 2008 and the current gridlock of Congress (and an 18% approval rating by the public) seem to bear out his predictions. Recent events reminds me of a passage in the New Testament (Hebrews 12:27).

Below are the wise encouragements of a prominent conservative Christian leader calling for less polarization and more communication between the parties.



-- source --- THE TRANSFORUM


Here is a question for you--do you think the system can be fixed? And please don't start with theory or scripture ... start with the pragmatic political world and the democratic system we live in.

9 comments:

  1. Sure I believe it can be fixed to a degree, but not without a sacrifice of several people of stepping out of the present political process we have now(Republican-Democrat). I say sacrifice because the first ones, such as Senator Bayh, will open the eyes of a few, but largely will be forgotten. Others will need to do the same, but will probably never be able to step back into the system. They are forever tainted. Maybe we are talking about another generation to step up and take note of such prominent people stepping down (assuming Bayh did do it for reasons stated) and begin to look for people to step onto the scene who truly want to 'fix' what is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good points Bryce ... at times i wonder if it would be an improvement to have three parties instead of two...

    ReplyDelete
  3. and what would the third party's platform be....now we got the republicans-conservative, right, elephants and stupid; then we have the democrats-liberal, left, jackasses and evil. So what does that leave another party to choose from? Speaking of Bayh, I see there is a move to get John Mellancamp to try to come out and run for the opening...my my!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and what would the third party's platform be....now we got the republicans-conservative, right, elephants and stupid; then we have the democrats-liberal, left, jackasses and evil. So what does that leave another party to choose from? Speaking of Bayh, I see there is a move to get John Mellancamp to try to come out and run for the opening...my my!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. UH...not real sure why the last post was published twice. Sorry

    ReplyDelete
  6. personally? don't laugh at me or hate me, but since the democrats keep moving left and the republicans keep moving right, I would like to see a sanity centrist party of moderates led by john McCain and Joe Liberman.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well I'm not laughing or hating, don't have a handle on Liberman, but I can see where McCain would be a good choice. I did think during the past presidential race that the republicans were not entirely sure of his standing, too left of the right. The conservative democrats that I know actually liked much of what he said, however I think Sarah frightened them off from jumping ship. But you need to understand that here in red neck Southern Indiana our democrats would make decent republicans in many parts of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  8. cool ... i like Sarah Palin personally but I'm thinking she is too polarizing of a figure to get elected. There is a high level of discontent right now with our political system.

    How long have you lived in Vicennes? i grew up in rural Ohio about 30 miles outside of Columbus. I love visiting, but we have thoroughly adapted to live in So. Florida ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes on the politically discontent, but don't you find that somewhat encouraging...not in a sick way but I see the discontent in a way that people are tired of (as you stated earlier)the two party system. This group, generation following after ours seems to be getting tired of the blind loyalty to a party and encouragingly I find them a whole lot less religious...which is a breath of fresh air. (Using religious as a status quo denominational church goer--do I need further description or is that enough?)
    I have basically lived and grew up my entire life here in Knox County. Vincennes is the county seat, lived in town for last 31 years.

    ReplyDelete