Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The "Journey of Ascent" - Part 1

I saw an entry in Debbie's journal from August 2006 today. She wrote ...

Book: "The Long Journey Home"

I don't know if she was thinking of naming her book with that title, or if it was something else. However it got me thinking about the "Journey of Ascent." 

Most of the Christian (and Jewish and Muslim) mystics talked about an experience that was common to them of taking an upward journey to God. They viewed it as a “Return home” to the source of where they had come from.

This made me think of a few bible verses… and a few movie scenes, such as the one below from Lord of the Rings
We all find the metaphor of climbing up a mountain against gravity and great odds to be deeply stirring. Why? Is it a collective archetype? a human myth? more to come on the "Journey of Ascent"

I will close with a quote from C.S. Lewis:

LAST BATTLE
The Last Battle Quotes (showing 1-17 of 17)

“I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now...Come further up, come further in!” 
― 
C.S. LewisThe Last Battle

No comments:

Post a Comment